December 23, 2011

Speak Honestly

Too often teachers barricade themselves in their classrooms. They shut themselves off from their peers, avoid their administrators, and try to teach their students the best way they can. Understandable, but are we really doing ourselves any favors?

Teachers need to communicate, need to learn from others. I value the experience and education of my peers but there never seems to be enough time to discuss all the ins and outs of effective teaching. If only there was some easy, magical way for teachers to keep in touch.

Oh wait . . . There is.  It’s called the internet.

In this age of ever-expanding technological advances, keeping in touch is easier than ever. My school site has a marvelous tool called email. It’s usually the only way for me to know what’s going on for the week. We also have a website and a brand-spanking-new blog, where a question is posted for the sole purpose of engaging others in a discussion about the art of teaching. Hopefully it will turn into a valuable tool that will help us grow and improve as teachers, and as people.

But all the technology in the world won’t help if people aren’t willing to listen thoughtfully and speak honestly. I know some of my coworkers will probably opt to ignore our new blog. They don’t want to learn from others.  They’re too busy. They fear administration will take over and suppress or squash new ideas that take form and flourish. I’d much rather be in on the ground floor of the planning and have a significant say in things, than be told about it after the details have been set in stone. I’m just that nosy!

I want to wake up energized and excited to come to work.  I want my spirit nourished while I’m at work. And I want to lay my head down each night, proud of the job I’ve done. Call me crazy, but technology in conjunction with a brilliant staff help me accomplish my goals.

No comments: