December 27, 2011

NO SUGARCOATING ALLOWED!

Dear Teachers,

Sugarcoating the truth doesn’t do anyone any good, least of all our students. Our students trust us.  They deserve to be told the truth.

A student once asked me, upon receiving a poor test score, "How did that happen?" Didn't he know? He rarely came to school and when he did, he wore a superior attitude on his shoulder. Kids don't realize that the choices they make affect their lives every single day. At some point in time, someone has to sit them down and explain it.

Personally, I have no trouble telling my students when they are being rude or lazy. If I want my students to think about how their actions affect themselves and others, then I have to be willing to go there and show them.

It isn't fun, it might cause tears, and you might get a couple of angry parent phone calls. But it's important. I always warn my parents and students at the beginning of the year. I'm strict and I call a spade a spade. I have frequent, honest conversations with my kiddos. Call it tough love but it works. My kids know their boundaries, know my expectations, and they know when they’ve disappointed me, or made me proud. With any luck, my students will someday, ten years from now, thank me for being honest with them.

No comments: